Facelift surgery might be performed as an outpatient procedure, but it is far from a one day process. There are several things a patient can do following facelift surgery to yield a safe, healthy, and timely recovery.
Here are the Top 5 things to keep in mind regarding your recovery:
- Prior to your surgery date be sure to fill any prescriptions your doctor has given you. You don’t want to have to worry about this the day of your surgery, you want to be ready. Remember to take any antibiotics/medication given by your doctor through their full cycle following surgery.
- To help combat the amount of facial edema (swelling) and ecchymosis (bruising) after surgery sleep on your back with 3 to 4 pillows behind your head and supporting your back for the first night following surgery. Applying ice cold compresses to the sides of your face during the next 24 hours after surgery will also help minimize swelling and discomfort.
- It is easy to become dehydrated after surgery and dehydration may cause nausea and dizziness. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids and stay hydrated!!
- Avoid exercise for 3 full weeks following surgery. It is also best to avoid bending over or lifting heavy objects. Exertion that elevates blood pressure can cause excess bleeding. Ask your doctor at your post-operative visits when you will be ready to begin your regular exercise routine again.
- Update your skincare regimen!! Make sure to discuss with your facelift surgery doctor what products you should be using following your facelift surgery. It is imperative to use sunblock daily to help protect your incision sites from burning and avoid any excessive scarring. All fresh new scars are hypersensitive to sunlight, causing a tendency to burn. The right medical-grade skincare regimen will also enhance the result of your facelift surgery.
Contact Dr. Michael Kelly for more information about facelift surgery in Miami